Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The season's almost over

I'm listening to the waning song of summer as I type this.

That's right. I've got the World Series going in the background and it seems plausible at this moment that the Yankees might win it tonight bring another season to a close.

As I'm listening, my mind is doing some weird type of time traveling through every baseball season and how much things have changed over the years.

It used to be a whole lot cheaper.

I had a moment of revisionist history in thinking that it didn't seem like the alcohol flowed so freely but then I remembered the time at Met Stadium many years ago when someone lit a fire under the seat of a man who had some serious gas in order to force him to go and sit somewhere else. Looking back, I'm pretty confident that was not the act of a sober man.

I remember when baseball fans, especially the young ones were considered almost as much of an asset to a team as the players. I can't imagine a kid going to a game these days and coming home with souvenirs like this from Jim Kaat, Zoilo Versalles, Jim Perry, Rich Rollins, Mudcat Grant, Tony Oliva, Don Mincher, Earl Battey and others for the price of admission:





Next year when the Twins move to the new outdoor stadium in an attempt to recapture the good old days, this will be allowed???

This girl can dream.

Goodbye 2009. It's been a fun season. I can't wait until next year!

Oh. And Yankees? You're still 3 outs away from winning but if you do succeed, congratulations on your victory.

Minnesota nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment